Amanda-Users

Re: Is gnu tar as safe as dump ?

2005-05-10 17:09:12
Subject: Re: Is gnu tar as safe as dump ?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 16:52:33 -0400
On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 11:07:18AM -0700, Scott Mcdermott wrote:
> Brian Cuttler on Tue 10/05 11:18 -0400:
> > I'd understood that the OS native dump could handle
> > correctly certain types of files that tar couldn't. Not an
> > issue of binaries but rather other types of special files.
> > Is this or was this true ?
>
> Well POSIX 1.e ACLs are one of them.
>
> Why GNU tar doesn't support ACLs when star has supported
> them for ages, is quite a mystery (possibly, so they don't
> break the tar format).

dump/restore, in all its various flavors, is FS-type and/or
OS-type specific.  It thus can include features specific
to those FS/OS.  ACL features are not consistant in what
and how they are implemented; they too are FS/OS specific.
Thus, dump/restore can handle them.

Tar, OTOH, is intended to be FS/OS non-specific.  Thus it
handles a subset of all possible FS/OS features, namely
those common to all and present since the early days of unix.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)