Amanda-Users

Re: largest fit peculiarities

2005-05-02 12:01:48
Subject: Re: largest fit peculiarities
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 11:50:41 -0400
On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 11:24:06AM -0400, Brian Cuttler wrote:

> silly question - if you hit EOT while trying to write a DLE to
> tape... don't you know pretty closely how much room remains on
> the end of the tape - at least to within one chunksize if not
> something with smaller granularity ?

<bad humor>
If you hit EOT,
you know exactly where you are,
there is no room left.
</bad humor>

I presume you asked the question thinking:

  "well, why not just back up and write something that fits?"

I think the answer is that amanda never backs up a tape except
as part of a full rewind.  At least for recording operations.
It always writes from the beginning of the tape.  The reasons
for this design decision likely were valid at the time.  Whether
they remain valid I don't know.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)