Amanda-Users

Re: Adding new stuff to disklist

2005-04-06 16:29:34
Subject: Re: Adding new stuff to disklist
From: Kevin Dalley <kevin AT kelphead DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:20:43 -0700
Designing the user interface for software isn't trivial, and requires
changes in the behavior depending upon users' comments and behavior.

I like amanda, but if people don't understand a software message, then
it isn't clear, regardless of how clear it is to you.

Your decisions are very reasonable, but I suggest that the warning or
error message be clearer about what the message means.  Add a line to
the amcheck output which says either:

1.  This is OK.  The directory will be automatically created when you
run amdump.

2.  This is not OK.  You must create the file.

Reading through 7 pages of error messages may not happen.  If the
software can be simply changed so that the user doesn't have to read
additional documentation, this is a good thing.

--
Kevin Dalley
kevin AT kelphead DOT org