Amanda-Users

gzip wrapper script for encrypted backups and restore not working

2005-03-31 18:40:03
Subject: gzip wrapper script for encrypted backups and restore not working
From: Oscar Ricardo Silva <osilva AT scuff.cc.utexas DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 16:18:18 -0600
I have setup encrypted backups using the script found at:

<http://security.uchicago.edu/tools/gpg-amanda/>

and backups appear to work. The problem comes when I attempt to restore files using amrecover. Once the restore starts I get a message saying that what's found is not a tar archive

Load tape daily28 now
Continue [?/Y/n/s/t]? Y
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
tar: ./log/ldap.1: Not found in archive
tar: ./log/messages: Not found in archive
extract_list - child returned non-zero status: 2
Continue [?/Y/n/r]? n

or that it's not a dump tape:

Load tape daily28 now
Continue [?/Y/n/s/t]? Y
restore: Tape is not a dump tape
extract_list - child returned non-zero status: 1
Continue [?/Y/n/r]? Y

If I restore the entire dump or tar archive using dd off the tape then run the gzip wrapper script, I now have a dump or a tar archive.

I've looked through the list archives and others appeared to have this same problem but I didn't see a solution. I've changed the redirect in the script from:

${gzip_prog} ${gzip_flags} >/tmp/amanda/gpg.debug

${gzip_prog} ${gzip_flags} 2>/tmp/amanda/gpg.debug

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? The only thing changed in the script is to add my gpg keys. In my dumptype I have "compress fast" turned on so that gzip will be called.