Amanda-Users

Re: reserve = 100 not honored when promoting dumps

2005-03-22 19:19:16
Subject: Re: reserve = 100 not honored when promoting dumps
From: Kevin Dalley <kevin AT kelphead DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:06:23 -0800
Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:36:36AM -0800, Kevin Dalley wrote:
>> I'm using Amanda-2.4.5b1, with a couple of private patches.
>>
>> I recently set:
>>
>>   reserve 100
>>
>> from my usual value of:
>>
>>   reserve 10
>>

>> because I'm running archival backups with my single tape drive and
>> won't have access to a tape as often.  On my last run, I didn't have an
>> appropriate tape in the drive, as planned.
>>
>> In the "INITIAL SCHEDULE", there is 1 lev 0 backup, probably because
>> the incremental estimate failed.  This is fine.
>>
>> However, I still reach "PROMOTING DUMPS IF NEEDED", with "total_lev0
>> 0, balanced_size 30594935" at the beginning.
>>
>> 1 DLE is promoted, bring resulting in "total_lev0 31049419".
>>
>> Should the "PROMOTING DUMPS IF NEEDED" section be skipped or modified
>> if reserve is set to 100?  planner.c seems to not care about the
>> reserve value.
>
> Reserve deals with the holding disk.
>
> There is nothing in the fact that a dump is "planned" at level 0
> to say it will go to the holding disk rather than direct to tape.

In this case, there isn't a tape available; I didn't have the correct
on in the drive.  Some part of amanda knew this before the dump was
started.  The somewhat large level 0 dump did go to the holding disk.
This dump was repeating a fairly recent one so that it would take up
the required size.

--
Kevin Dalley
kevin AT kelphead DOT org