Amanda-Users

Re: Crontab Sanity Check

2005-03-22 14:57:30
Subject: Re: Crontab Sanity Check
From: Gaby vanhegan <gaby AT vanhegan DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:42:37 +0000

On 22 Mar 2005, at 19:09, Jon LaBadie wrote:

Your runfull tag file:
   Why should anyone who doesn't care see it; maybe a dot name?
   Maybe planning for the future, the name should contain the
   amanda config also?

Fair point, I have amended accordingly.

Your checks:
   Depending on your ?paranoia?, what if something gets missed?
   How do you want to handle it?  For example, if the amcheck
   doesn't run on the first Thursday, do you really want to wait
   for 60 days between full dumps?

If something does get missed then I am happy to back it up manually. Bearing in mind that tapes on a 7 day rotation are constantly doing daily incrementals. So everything will be backed up on a weekly basis to the ltsn config and we have monthly copies that are removed from the building from the ltsn_full config. Either way everything gets backed up every 7 days.

Maybe the amdump script should
write a file with the date in it, like "date +%y%j > .last_lstn_full"
   Then you could do things like:.....

The issue that I have there is somebody else handles the tapes for me as I don't go anywhere near the site. The instructions I've left are to put the 2 ltsn_full tapes into the changer in time for thursday lunchtime evening and take them out again on friday lunchtime. I think we both prefer the simplicity of the setup as it stands.

If things don't get dumped on the full run then I can manually dump them to the daily tapes or ask my glamorous assistant to leave the tapes in the drive whilst I schedule another run. I are most attentive to my email logs so I normally spot when something doesn't get dumped.

Thank you for your suggestions John, I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Many thanks,

Gaby

--
Uganda Maximum - Enemy of the English Thrust
gaby AT vanhegan DOT net