Amanda-Users

Re: Strange planner problem 2.4.4p3

2005-02-26 00:47:45
Subject: Re: Strange planner problem 2.4.4p3
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 00:40:30 -0500
On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 07:48:29PM -0700, Michael Loftis wrote:
> Yes I'm aware p4+ is out...But I'm having a strange problem where my
> planner promotes full dumps, but then complains about other full dumps
> being delayed because the backup is too big?  This makes no sense,
> shouldn't it incremental these other dumps in order to keep from delaying
> these other full dumps?
>
> Any ideas, hints, suggestions?  Need/want any additional info?  It just
> seems pathological to do this ever.

Not really, remember that the planner is trying to balance media usage
over the full dumpcycle, not just today.  And for a specific example,
suppose your incrementals, obviously critically required, take up
90% of the available tape capacity.  Further, the DLE's it would like
to to do as full dumps will each take > 10%.  They can't be done.  But
if a small DLE is promoted today, there may be more room available on
the a future dump because that DLE doesn't require its full dump.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)