Amanda-Users

new problem with the Exabyte VXA-2 packet-loader system

2005-02-24 15:14:49
Subject: new problem with the Exabyte VXA-2 packet-loader system
From: "James D. Freels" <freelsjd AT ornl DOT gov>
To: amanda <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:17:39 -0500
The Exabyte lack of timely tech support may be hurting them.  I get better help through this forum which may discourage people from purchasing from Exabyte.

I have great success with the first round of 10 tapes with the autoloader.  Each day, a new tape was loaded and the AMANDA backup performed correctly.

Then I unloaded all 10 tapes (exported in Exabyte terminology) and proceeded to load a cleaning tape to clean the drive.

I placed the cleaning tape into the slot using the "import" command from the autoloader console.

The door closed and the system proceeded to lock up completed. It looks like the cartridge is stuck somehow.  Nothing at all will work now.  I cannot unload the cartridge.  All I get is an error message at the console "H/W Inoperable Servo Error"

Anyone else with this experience ?  How do I remove the cartridge and try again ?