Amanda-Users

tape backup vs hdd backup

2005-02-22 03:12:57
Subject: tape backup vs hdd backup
From: ddaasd <ddaasd AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:00:28 +0100
Hi,
I am new to this list.
I work in a company as admin where AMANDA is implemented as a BackUp System, so this list is exactly what I was looking for.

Also I am new to Amanda. I've never configured amanda from scratch. Here in the firm, the former admin has configured amanda and now I have it working. Last days a colleague asked me why are we using tape backup which is more complicated and why do we not use an external 250 GB USB/Firewire HDD.
I didn't know exactly what to say.

I know all companies have tape backup, but which are the real reasons for that. Why not to use an external 300 GB USB HDD?

What do you think?

All the best,
ddaas