Amanda-Users

RE: invalid compressed data--crc error and other corruption ondiskfiles

2005-02-18 11:55:27
Subject: RE: invalid compressed data--crc error and other corruption ondiskfiles
From: Thomas Charles Robinson <robinstc AT ocean.com DOT au>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:49:32 +0000
Thanks John for all your input:

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 15:50, Gene Heskett wrote:
Looking down below at the errors, I'm wondering if up2date or yum has
> replaced your version of tar, known to be good, with another in the
> 1.14 family, known to be bad?  1.15 however seems to be fine, I've
> been using it for about a month and have yet to see an amverify
> error, which my own scripts run after amdump and its wrappers has
> exited.

$ gzip -V
gzip 1.3.3
(2002-03-08)
Copyright 2002 Free Software Foundation
Copyright 1992-1993 Jean-loup Gailly
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You may redistribute copies of this program
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.
Compilation options:
DIRENT UTIME STDC_HEADERS HAVE_UNISTD_H HAVE_MEMORY_H HAVE_STRING_H HAVE_LSTAT
Written by Jean-loup Gailly.

$ tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.13.25
Copyright © 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute it under the terms of the GNU General Public License;
see the file named COPYING for details.
Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.

An interesting point is that after a second run of my test 'some' of the
dump-files verified as good. This indicates a intermittent problem.
Would bad memory gives this type of behaviour?

Regards,

Tom

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 15:32, Lauro, John wrote:
> Hmmm, nevermind...  I see you already provided that info.
>
> I have no other ideas.  Good luck.

Thanks John for all your input:

Slang is language that takes off its coat, spits on its hands, and goes
to work.