Amanda-Users

Re: AMDUMP not working under DEBIAN 3

2005-02-15 19:08:12
Subject: Re: AMDUMP not working under DEBIAN 3
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:00:04 -0500
On Tuesday 15 February 2005 03:01, Pierre-Henry Deliege wrote:
>Dear,
>

>I have configured AMANDA on a new platform running DEBIAN 3 with a
> SCSI tapes library and LTO tape drives.
>
>Everything is working fine except the AMDUMP. It looks like Amanda
> writes correctly the label on the tapes and the end file mark? but
> it dumps nothing.
>

>Please find here under the 2 logs.
>

>Any idea of the problems ?
>

>Thanks in advance for your support.
>

>AMTAPE LOG:
>

>DISK planner LINUXLMS /home/chl/backup
>
>START planner date 20050214
>
>INFO planner Adding new disk LINUXLMS:/home/chl/backup.
>
>START driver date 20050214
>
>ERROR planner Request to LINUXLMS timed out.

This is the error, but why?

>FINISH planner date 20050214
>
>WARNING driver WARNING: got empty schedule from planner
>
>STATS driver startup time 30.003
>
>START taper datestamp 20050214 label MTC000035 tape 0
>
>INFO taper tape MTC000035 kb 0 fm 0 [OK]
>
>FINISH driver date 20050214 time 39.563
>

>AMDUMP LOG:
>

>amdump: start at Mon Feb 14 17:18:22 CET 2005
>
>amdump: datestamp 20050214
>
>planner: pid 2154 executable /usr/local/libexec/planner version
> 2.4.4p4
>
>planner: build: VERSION="Amanda-2.4.4p4"
>
>planner:        BUILT_DATE="Tue Feb 8 17:01:21 CET 2005"
>
>planner:        BUILT_MACH="Linux LINUXLMS 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr
> 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i686 unknown"
>
>planner:        CC="gcc"
>
>planner:        CONFIGURE_COMMAND="'./configure' '--with-user=root'
>'--with-group=root'"

Aha!  Oh Dear...  Rip it all out (as root so you can) and please
*read* the directions and/or the Top Ten FAQ.  Amanda does not run as
root, ever.  For security reasons, it does an suid when it needs to,
and only when it needs to.

Fix your scripts in /etc/xinetd.d too.  I run amanda as the user
amanda, who is a member of the group disk on this linux box.  The
group backup is also generally acceptable.  The user amanda is
unpriviledged, uid around 507 on this box.

[snip the rest, it doesn't matter]

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: