Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda runs "out of tape"

2005-02-10 07:30:18
Subject: Re: Amanda runs "out of tape"
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: niclas AT sidfotens DOT se
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:24:22 +0100
Niclas Ember wrote:
I use a HP Surestore WS80 (I think, can't read it now because the tape
is stuck :( ), with a HP DLT IV Data Cartridge. This tape should be
capable of storing 40 GB uncompressed data.

I try to backup a directory (/Exports), on the same server as the tape-
drive, containing about 12,5 GB of data.

What happens is that amanda tries to use the whole tape and then
"complains" about being "out of tape". In bad cases, like now, the taper
even pulls the tape out of the cartridge and get stuck.

Typically hardware problems.
Try cleaning the tape heads.
Try a new tape.
Make sure the scsi-cables and terminator are firmly connected.
Sacrifice a goat or a chicken.

[...]
holdingdisk hd1 {
    comment "main holding disk"
    directory "/amanda"       # where the holding disk is
    use 2500 Mb         # how much space can we use on it
                        # a negative value mean:
                        #        use all space except that value
    chunksize 2 Gb      # size of chunk if you want big dump to be
                        # dumped on multiple files on holding disks
                        #  N Kb/Mb/Gb split disks in chunks of size N
                        #  0          split disks in INT_MAX/1024 Kb chunks
                        # -N Kb/Mb/Gb dont split, dump larger
                        #             filesystems directly to tape
                        #             (example: -2 Gb)
    }

Because you said to use only 2.5 Gbyte of the holdingdisk,
and because the dump image is larger, you're bypassing the
disk, and going directly to tape.
This sometimes results in stopping/rewinding/starting of of
the tape device (if the server cannot feed data fast enough).
This heavily wears the drive, and could result in more
frequent hardware problems too.

START taper datestamp 20050209 label Band03 tape 0
INFO taper tape Band03 kb 5523456 fm 1 writing file: Input/output error
FAIL taper SVEFILE01.TANNE.LOCAL /Exports 20050209 0 [out of tape]
ERROR taper no-tape [[writing file: Input/output error]]

While writing to tape, there was an IO error at about 5.5 Gbyte.
Because this is indeed a lot below the expected 40 Gbyte, that's
a hardware error.  Could be a bad tape, dirty heads, or the tapedrive
itself.