Amanda-Users

Re: Exabyte VXA-2 PacketLoader

2005-02-02 17:01:07
Subject: Re: Exabyte VXA-2 PacketLoader
From: "James D. Freels" <freelsjd AT ornl DOT gov>
To: "." <listrcv AT condor-werke DOT com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 16:47:48 -0500
Progress.

My main problem was the library is at sg3 not sg6.  sg6 is the tape drive...duh !

My next problem was that the scsi driver for the symbios scsi card did not work correctly on this alpha/linux server.  I was using the newer -2 driver, but now reverting back to the ncr driver.  I might try the symbios-1 driver.  It is nice to have a choice with Linux, but this problem is hard to diagnose.

Now the problem is unloading the previous tape and loading the next.  It seems when I issue a

amtape new slot next

or

amtape new slot eject

or

amtape new slot 7 (if going from slot 6)

I get the following error message to the console:

amtape: could not load slot 6: Unloading Data Transfer Element into Storage Element 6...mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes

Then I must repeat the command again.  It actually unloads, but then does not load the next tape.  It could be a timing problem of some sort.

I also have to manually issue a "mt -f /dev/nst1 rewind" command that the end of the amlabel command prior to the amtape new eject.

Just a little rough.  I need to get this into production mode for someone who knows little about linux just to load tapes, etc.