Amanda-Users

Re: parse of reply message failed?

2005-01-04 18:10:38
Subject: Re: parse of reply message failed?
From: Steve Wray <stevew-lists AT catalyst.net DOT nz>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 12:02:25 +1300
Steve Wray wrote:
Hi there,

I've been reading this thread;

http://www.mail-archive.com/amanda-users AT amanda DOT org/msg27491.html

which is interesting because we've been experiencing a very similar problem since upgrading 2.6.8 to 2.6.9 on a small cluster here.

The amanda connection tracking is all built into the kernel, not modules; but it was like that when the backups worked.

CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP was disabled in both the amanda-working and non-working kernels.

In fact, there don't seem to be a lot of differences between these kernels. I'll attach the diff here in case it helps! The ones prefixed wth '-' is the non-amanda-working config, the ones with the '+' are the amanda-working config.

I'm hoping that we can get this going without having to install a new kernel...

Any ideas?

Following up to my own post, it turns out that with kernel 2.6.8 the interaction between the amanda 2.4.2p2 'server' (in debian woody) and the amanda 2.4.4p3 client (in debian sarge) works, whereas when the client is running 2.6.9 this interaction breaks down in the manner described.

I found a woody backport of amanda 2.4.4p3 here;
http://www.localguru.de/debian/woody/amanda/

and applied this to the backup server; everything now works.