Amanda-Users

Re: two separate drives to make changer

2004-12-30 17:22:58
Subject: Re: two separate drives to make changer
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:04:41 -0500
On Thursday 30 December 2004 14:26, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 at 1:57pm, Graham Wooden wrote
>
>> I have two external scsi tape devices (DLT 35/70 and a VXA 33/66)
>> that I would like to attempt to make a cheap changer if you will
>> or possibly just assign certain clients to a particular drive.
>> Does anyone have any quick how-tos or sample docs on either of the
>> above?  I see a definition of "chg-manual" in the TAPE.CHANGERS
>> doc, but not sure how to move forward with that. Amanda is running
>> just fine with a set of clients connected to the first drive, but
>> I need to introduce more clients which will require me to invoke
>> the second drive ....
>
>You can run two configs simultaneously on the same server *as long
> as* no 1 client is in both.  That makes what you're trying to do
> very, very easy.

Yes it would, just one caveat Joshua.  If perchance he ever wanted to
do a partition on client b that is actually on the same physical
drive as a different partition used by client a, that would result in
the potential problem of thrashing the drives seek mechanism and
slowing down both configurations.  The chances of that happening are
probably pretty slim given that in most cases, the 'client' means the
whole indiviual machine.  But its something to keep in mind when
setting up the disklists for each client configuration.  Samba, CIFS,
and NLS shares can lead to strange bedfellows in that dept. without
raising any little red flags at first.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: