Amanda-Users

Re: run as root?

2004-11-22 19:21:16
Subject: Re: run as root?
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Jose de Paula Eufrasio Junior <jpejunior AT gmail DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:17:17 -0600
--On Monday, November 22, 2004 12:09:05 -0200 Jose de Paula Eufrasio Junior
<jpejunior AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

> hello there.
>
> thanks for the help in the level 0 problem, it was another error (wrong tape)
> :)
>
> now I'm facing another "problem": some places I want to backup are
> mailboxes or home dirs with 600 permission. The "backup" user can't
> chdir or read this files/dirs, so I thought in running the client as
> root. But I can't :) even changing the user on inetd the programs
> still running as the "backup" user.
>
> Some advice on this problem? :)

If you installed Amanda while root then all the appropriate
executables should have been installed SUID root.  Perhaps you
overlooked that step?

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673