Amanda-Users

Re: [OT] cron.d entries for Amanda

2004-11-17 12:53:44
Subject: Re: [OT] cron.d entries for Amanda
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:44:26 -0500
On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 03:48:53PM +0300, Alexey I. Froloff wrote:
> * Gavin Henry <ghenry@> [041116 15:35]:
> > /bin/sh: line 1: /usr/bin/find /u01/app/oracle/archdest2/* -mtime +7 -exec
> > rm{}\;:
> > No such file or directory
>
> Er... I'm not sure this will ever work.  find() accepts one real
> (not shell pattrn) argument for PATH.  Furthermore, you may want
> to use something like this:

No, find will accept multiple starting points.
I don't even think they have to be directories.
But of course you can't decend recursively
very far below an ordinary file :))

I think the shell, /bin/sh, may have been reporting the output
of the find command and find was saying "no such ...".
I.e. it tried to find a command "rm{}" (the curly braces
are valid file name characters) and that of course was
not found.  As someone else noted, you need spaces.

If the shell was unable to locate a command, most shells
have traditionally said "not found".  In intro unix or
shell classes I take advantage of that particular message
to emphasize the first word on a line is the command name.
I let the students know that "every unix" contains a command
called jimmy hoffa.  And if you run the command it tells
you something about him.  After all the questions about
one or two words or caps or ...  the student run something
and get a message something like:

   jimmy: not found

which of course is true, so it does tell you something about JH.

Apologies to the youngsters or non-US people who don't know JH.

As most shells say something similar, i.e. "not found" vs. "no such
file or directory", when they can't locate a command I think the
message came from find.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)