Amanda-Users

Re: Does exclude work with samba?

2004-11-02 05:52:46
Subject: Re: Does exclude work with samba?
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Kevin Dalley <kevin AT kelphead DOT org>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 11:46:14 +0100
Kevin Dalley wrote:

I know that include doesn't work with samba DLEs, but I can't find a
clear answer on using exclude with samba.  I tried the following with
fred a directory on F:.

condor //ibis/f$ //ibis/f$ {
        exclude "./fred"
        user-sambatar
} 14 eth0
It appears that the fred directory is included in the calculations.
Is there a way of avoiding this directory when using samba?

Currently not.   The estimate is done with the smbclient builtin 'du'
command.  That is fast, but does not support excludes.
(before using the 'du', it was implemented as a real backup were
the output was trown away; that took ages!)

Also notice that exclude processing with samba is currently not very
useful: you can only exlude one name (file or directory). That was
a limitation of samba 2.x somewhere.  Samba can handle more, but nobody
has yet implemented those additional exclude mechanisms in Amanda.