Amanda-Users

Re: taperalgo "largestfit" appears to be backwards.

2004-10-30 07:02:24
Subject: Re: taperalgo "largestfit" appears to be backwards.
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Joe Rhett <jrhett AT meer DOT net>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:58:23 +0200
Joe Rhett wrote:
I just changed the taperalgo parameter in the amanda configuration per
someone's suggestion (regarding a different problem) and have noticed
that
        taperalgo               largestfit

Appears to work backwards.  It is backing up all the smallest filesystems
first, and putting the biggest ones at the end.  Which means that it hits
tape end on these, and uses nearly 3x as many tapes as before.

See:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=amanda-users&m=106277015010167&w=2

There is an interaction between the number of dumpers (inparallel),
the dumporder (default sssSSSSS) and the way taperalgo works.