Amanda-Users

Re: Advice for Amanda beginner

2004-10-28 21:52:13
Subject: Re: Advice for Amanda beginner
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: James Marcinek <jmarc1 AT jemconsult DOT biz>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:48:18 -0500

--On Thursday, October 28, 2004 20:00:28 +0000 James Marcinek <jmarc1 AT
jemconsult DOT biz> wrote:

> Frank,
>
> Thanks for the reply. My wheels were spinning but I was getting nowhere. It
> appears that the 'Red Hat Bible' shows the traditional backup approach (This
> helped in the confusion). It actually used the full and incremental approach;
> however it only gave the 'always-full' backup type which is easy enough to
> understand. I've actually been exposed to backup apps (from EMC) that allows
> the
> application to decide when the full backups occur. I guess one question would
> be
> "when will it do a full backup and how does it make the determination".

Amanda will do 'at least' one full backup per dumpcycle.  Of course, before
it can do an incremental it has to do a full, so it's best to add your new
disklist entries (DLEs) a few at a time.  Thereafter Amanda's scheduler
will move the fulls to different days and adjust dump levels in order to
use about the same amount of tape each day (while ensuring that you get
at least one full per dumpcycle).

> What type of dump would be recommended. The backup server will be primarily
> backing itself up and it was created using only 1 partition (I didn't do it
> this
> way), so the holding disk and the amanda directories are all on the same
> partition:
>
> config directory:
> /etc/amanda/normal/amanda.conf
> /etc/amanda/normal/disklist
> /var/lib/amanda/normal
> /var/lib/amanda/normal/index
>
> holding:
> /var/holding
>
> I will be adding other clients later and I know they will not be a problem;
> however the amanda.conf dumptype comments concern me.
>
> The drive is currently 70Gigs with about 46% utilized, however it is expected
> grow. The tape drive is:
>
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: ARCHIVE  Model: Python 06408-XXX Rev: 8250
>   Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 03
>
> One other thing does confuse me about spanning multiple tapes? Does this mean
> if
> I'm doing a backup and I need another tape that it will start the backup from
> beginning?

A single DLE can't exceed the size of a single tape (unless you want to
test the tape=spanning patches).  You might need to use tar instead of
dump on your large filesystem and backup subdirectories.
   If runtapes is  > 1 then Amanda will use multiple tapes per run, but
each DLE must be smaller than a single tape.  If Amanda hits EOT before
it has written tapelength bytes, it will restart the failed DLE on the next
tape.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673