Amanda-Users

Re: Collecting dumps bevore tape-writing?

2004-10-26 16:03:26
Subject: Re: Collecting dumps bevore tape-writing?
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Thorsten Bremer <lists-read AT thoddi DOT de>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:59:30 -0500
--On Tuesday, October 26, 2004 21:31:54 +0200 Thorsten Bremer <lists-read AT
thoddi DOT de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> in the "normal" way, amanda collects the dumps on the holding disk and
> write them to tape, while amanda dumps another directory in the
> background and so on.
>
> But after installing a new streamer, my computer is too slow for this.
> I can only dump to the holding disk OR writing data to tape at one
> time, not both together (the streamer is too fast, the disk too slow).
>
> Yes, a hardware-update is on the way :-))
>
> Is there a way to tell amanda, that he must not dump and tape-writing
> in parallel, but one step after the other?

Amanda is designed to do as much in parallel as possible, so it
may be difficult to get it to do that.
   The only way I could think of would be to not put a tape in
and let it all go to disk, then insert tape and run amflush.  This
assumes you have enogh holdingdisk space to contain your backup.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673