Amanda-Users

possible bug in EOT handling

2004-10-26 09:52:34
Subject: possible bug in EOT handling
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:41:29 -0400
Greetings;

This is the seocnd time its happened here, when an EOT condition
caused by the tapetypes set size occurs.

Last night, such an EOT was hit on vtape 14, so it spit out a boatload
of errors in the amverify phase, yada yada.

This morning, when I ran an amflush to clear the /dumps directory, it
flushed to vtape 16, skipping vtape 15.  Somehow, even though
runtapes is set to 1, it is doing a double advance through the
chg-disk facility under this simulated EOT condition so that when I
do the flush, it has skipped over one vtape.  This is getting my
tapelist into a somewhat scrambled order: (after an amcheck run)
[amanda@coyote Daily]$ cat tapelist
20041026 Dailys-16 reuse
20041026 Dailys-14 reuse
20041025 Dailys-13 reuse
20041024 Dailys-12 reuse
20041023 Dailys-11 reuse
20041022 Dailys-10 reuse
20041021 Dailys-9 reuse
20041020 Dailys-8 reuse
20041019 Dailys-7 reuse
20041018 Dailys-6 reuse
20041017 Dailys-5 reuse
20041016 Dailys-4 reuse
20041016 Dailys-3 reuse
20041015 Dailys-2 reuse
20041014 Dailys-1 reuse
20041013 Dailys-20 reuse
20041012 Dailys-30 reuse
20041011 Dailys-29 reuse
20041010 Dailys-28 reuse
20041009 Dailys-27 reuse
20041008 Dailys-26 reuse
20041007 Dailys-25 reuse
20041006 Dailys-24 reuse
20041005 Dailys-23 reuse
20041004 Dailys-22 reuse
20041003 Dailys-21 reuse
20041002 Dailys-19 reuse
20041002 Dailys-18 reuse
20041002 Dailys-17 reuse
20041001 Dailys-15 reuse

And while it doesn't effect amanda as there seems to be nothing wrong
with the expire and reuse of the oldest vtape, it really should be
looked at eventually.

I'm also a little puzzled as to why the estimate phase in the planner
didn't foresee that it was going to try and write nearly 20% more
data (the flush dumped 1117.5 megs) than the tapetype (6640 megs)
setting.

I have been dl'ing the FC3rc1 images, about 5GB, but the huge majority
of that has been onsite for 2 full days now with half of it being
replaced over the last day due to bad md5sums for the iso's.  All but
the last 568 megs was there when the planner ran, but it overflowed
the tapesize by over a gig.

It would appear that 'balance' is not being achieved very quickly as
this is now the middle of the 2nd cycle through the 30 vtapes I have
setup on about 176GB of a 200GB drive.  As that partition is now at
87% capacity, and amanda often is using quite a bit less than that
tapetypes setting, I've expanded the tapetypes size by another gig,
hopeing that won't eventually result in a disk full error.  I'll have
to watch the daily df reports logwatch does carefully and trim that
back a bit if it gets too close.

You may return to your regularly scheduled programing now, I've had my
daily rant.  And amanda really is a great program.  :-)

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: