Amanda-Users

Script to show which files are NOT backed up? (gnutar excludes/includes)

2004-10-14 14:18:44
Subject: Script to show which files are NOT backed up? (gnutar excludes/includes)
From: Paul Schmidt <pschmidt5 AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:27:17 -0700
Hello,

Since I have a large filesystem that is larger than my 40GB tapes, I
use the gnutar exclude lists features to back this up.  Since the
method is somewhat error-prone to forgetting things/excluding too
much, I was wondering if anyone had a script to show me all of the
files on my filesystem that are NOT covered with my disklist file
entries.

The large data I am backing up is on a partition that also has smaller
data directories on it too.  The large data is all under a common
path, and is broken down into subdirectories which themselves DO fit
on a tape, such as:

/somepath/
        smalldir/
        othersmalldir/
        largedir/
                A/
                     bunch of files that all fit on a tape
                B/
                     bunch of files that all fit on a tape
        anothersmalldir/

The way I have this set up is /somepath/ has a disklist entry, with an
exclude file that specifies ./largedir/*   This gathers all of the
small data dirs all at once.

Then, each directory under largedir has its own disklist entry, such
as /somepath/largedir/A for example.  This is the error prone part.

The A, B, etc. directories don't change TOO often, but they're not
static. I am looking for a tool to make it easier to verify that all
the necessary disklist entries have been made and that none of the
important data (anywhere on my server) has been accidentally left out.

Any suggestions for how I can do my configuration better that might
prevent some of these issues would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
-Paul