Amanda-Users

Re: AIX 5.1 installation

2004-10-05 14:06:39
Subject: Re: AIX 5.1 installation
From: Jorge Godoy <godoy AT ieee DOT org>
To: Anthony Valentine <avalentine AT sbsalaska DOT com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 15:02:18 -0300
Anthony Valentine <avalentine AT sbsalaska DOT com> writes:

> Amanda 2.4.2p2 is latest version that I have gotten to work on AIX.
>
> The problems that I have with Amanda on AIX is due to using GCC to
> compile Amanda. When Amanda's configure is run, these two flags are
> added to the compile options:
>
> gcc: unrecognized option `-q32'
> gcc: unrecognized option `-qlonglong'
>
> GCC doesn't like these.
>
> I have manually removed these from the make file, but this didn't allow
> the compile to finish.
>
> Another option which has been reported to work is to use IBM's C
> compiler. At $1000 per copy, it isn't cheap to test, but it may be an
> option if you are desperate. Note, however, that I tried this and it
> didn't work for me. The compile finished without errors, but the binaries
> didn't work. YMMV.

Hmmm...  I see.  I was thinking about using those packages here:
http://aixpdslib.seas.ucla.edu/packages/amanda.html

Since the servers aren't mine, I'd thought about being as little
intrusive on its configuration as possible.

> I haven't had the time to revisit the problem lately, or to test the
> latest Amanda version, so this problem may not exist anymore.

The packages above are for 2.4.4p2.

> The following link should pull up the original thread about this.

Thanks!  I'll read it.  There might be some other advices.

> I hope this helps you out some. If you do manage to find a solution to
> this problem, please let me know!

So, I still haven't had the problem -- and I hope I don't have it.

> Also, I am using an IBM 7337 tape library.  You don't mention if you plan
> to use a library, but if you are, and it is similar to mine, I may be able
> to help you.

We're not goingo to use any tape library.  It will be only one LTO tape
drive.  (I haven't ever used LTO tapes, my last installation was with a
DLT on a Dell running Linux...)

> My tape library came with a command line utility called tapeutil to control
> the robot.  In order to use *Amanda*, I wrote custom shell scripts that let
> *Amanda* talk to the library through tapeutil.  If your library uses the
> tapeutil program, I can e-mail you my scripts.  They are a bit "kludgey" (and
> would probably need to be modified to work for you), but they work.

If you can send them to me, I'd like to take a look at those. :-)

Thank you!

--
Godoy.     <godoy AT ieee DOT org>