Amanda-Users

Re: autoflush not working, found amgetconf isn't either

2004-09-17 08:32:49
Subject: Re: autoflush not working, found amgetconf isn't either
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, amanda-hackers AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:29:57 +0200
Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

amgetconf Daily autoflush

Although this gives me an error with 2.4.4p3-20040915 AND 2.4.4p3
here ...:-(

Seems as if only numerical values are read correctly ...
Another thing added to the big TODO-list ...

A patch for that bug was just posted by John E. Hein on -hackers.

But, I found another bug (probably), and while I usually hunt myself
for the solution, I'm a little burried under my (paid) workload
at the moment, so if anybody else feels attracked to bugsolving...

autoflush does not work when invoking amdump with host/disk, e.g.

  amdump daily www.example.com /var /users ftp.example.com /ftp

I used to invoke such a command sometimes for my archive run in the
weekends.  I use chg-multi with two drives, but the total volume
would fill 4 tapes.  2 tapes were filled with the normal amdump,
and the rest would dump to holdingdisk.  Monday morning I normally
flush the rest to two other tapes.
Now and then it happens that one host is down, and one backup did
not succeed.  In that case I just made sure the problem was cleared
and, with autoflush enabled, I just did "amdump archive that.host.com"
which would flush everything in the holdingdisk, and try again
a backup for that particular host.

Last time I needed it, using 2.4.4p3, the autoflush flag was ignored,
leaving everything on holdingdisk.
The previous time I used this is already long ago, probably 2.4.4p2;
but it did first autoflush and backed up that one host.
It could be earlier version too -- usually my backups do it as told.

Invoking simply "amdump daily" with something in the holdingarea does
works fine however, obeying the "autoflush yes" without problem.