Amanda-Users

Re: Amcheck and amdump port usage?

2004-09-14 09:47:15
Subject: Re: Amcheck and amdump port usage?
From: KEVIN ZEMBOWER <KZEMBOWE AT jhuccp DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, andreas AT inferno.nadir DOT org
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:39:02 -0400
Andreas, thanks for writing and your advice. Unfortunately, I can't control any
aspect of the firewall. It is administered by another group within my
organization. I don't believe that they understand the firewall software
thoroughly. Furthermore, it seems to be five-year-old software which is no
longer being maintained. I don't believe that it's very sophisticated and able
to use syn/ack flags. I'm very frustrated.

If you tell me that I have to open all ports from 1024 through 65535, using
TCP, inbound from my client(s) to my tapehost, that's fine with me. I don't
believe that this is a significant security risk. However, I have to spell out
exactly what I need, in this format, for the firewall administrators to act on
it.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

-Kevin