Amanda-Users

puzzling results using file: output format

2004-09-11 13:53:27
Subject: puzzling results using file: output format
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 13:41:49 -0400
Greetings;

I seem to be writing the backups to the disk files ok, at least the
directory data is linked to is getting the data written.

Unforch, amcheck seems to return odd results, an amverify cannot
access.

No matter what I do with the chg-disk-access etc numbers, amcheck
isn't capable of fixing an erronious 'data' link, which last nights
run of amdump, using slot11, somehow left pointing to slot22, like it
had incremented both digits.  I reset that link to point at slot11
again, and reran amcheck, getting this, which looks correct:

[amanda@coyote amanda]$ amcheck Daily
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /dumps: 19840616 KB disk space available, using 19328616
KB
amcheck-server: slot 11: date 20040911 label Dailys-11 (active tape)
amcheck-server: slot 12: date X        label Dailys-12 (new tape)
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Tape Dailys-12 label ok
Server check took 0.215 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
Client check: 2 hosts checked in 10.246 seconds, 0 problems found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.5b1-20040831)

Although it strikes me that the response time should be much faster
than 10+ seconds on a 100baseT circuit.

Amverify doesn't seem to want to work yet though, returning errors
such as this:

[amanda@coyote amanda]$ amverify Daily slot 11
Tape changer is chg-disk...
11 slots...
Verify summary to root AT coyote.coyote DOT den
Defects file is /tmp/amanda/amverify.27810/defects
amverify Daily
Sat Sep 11 12:52:41 EDT 2004

** Error loading slot slot
amtape: could not load slot 0: illegal request
Using device file:/amandatapes/Dailys/
Waiting for device to go ready...
Rewinding...
Processing label...
Volume Dailys-13, Date X
Fresh tape. Skipping...
Using device file:/amandatapes/Dailys/
Waiting for device to go ready...
Rewinding...
Processing label...
Volume Dailys-14, Date X
Fresh tape. Skipping...
Using device file:/amandatapes/Dailys/
Waiting for device to go ready...
Rewinding...
Processing label...
Volume Dailys-15, Date X
Fresh tape. Skipping...
Using device file:/amandatapes/Dailys/
Waiting for device to go ready...
Rewinding...
Processing label...
Volume Dailys-16, Date X
Fresh tape. Skipping...
Using device file:/amandatapes/Dailys/
Waiting for device to go ready...
Rewinding...
Processing label...
Volume Dailys-17, Date X
Fresh tape. Skipping...
Using device file:/amandatapes/Dailys/
Waiting for device to go ready...
Rewinding...
Processing label...
Volume Dailys-18, Date X
Fresh tape. Skipping...
Using device file:/amandatapes/Dailys/
Waiting for device to go ready...
Rewinding...
Processing label...
Volume Dailys-19, Date X
Fresh tape. Skipping...
Using device file:/amandatapes/Dailys/
Waiting for device to go ready...
Rewinding...
Processing label...
Volume Dailys-20, Date X
Fresh tape. Skipping...
Using device file:/amandatapes/Dailys/
Waiting for device to go ready...
Rewinding...
Processing label...
Volume Dailys-21, Date X
Fresh tape. Skipping...
Using device file:/amandatapes/Dailys/
Waiting for device to go ready...
Rewinding...
Processing label...
Volume Dailys-22, Date X
Fresh tape. Skipping...
Errors found:
amtape: could not load slot 0: illegal request
[amanda@coyote amanda]$

Aha!  Now the 'data' link is back pointing at slot22 I'll bet.  Yup,
sure is.

So this brings up 2 more questions.  1) why isn't amverify working on
the named slot, and 2) why does it die on slot22 when the numbering
used goes on to slot30.  If its going to search (which I think it
should not do unless runtapes>1) why doesn't it wrap back to the
starting point?

I wrote a little 6 liner to check the labels and they are all there
and in apparently proper order.

For the first run, I had the HARD-DISK size set at 6GB, and had given
it a runtapes of 10, figuring it needed to get caught up.

My /usr/src's dir was bigger than that, so it cycled thru the first 10
looking for a place to put the backup, and failed, leaving quite a
bit in the holding disk.  So it used slot10 for the next run, and I'd
reset the HARD-DISK size to 12GB, runtapes=1 and reran it by hand &
that also failed to fit by about 500 megs, so the third run last
night saw runtapes=1, size=6GB, and it all fit in half of slot11's
HARD-DISK size.  Supposedly caught up, and now it should start its
balanceing act.

I'm going to leave amverify along till I hear from somebody, and reset
data to ->slot09 and run amcheck to see if it skips the slot10 and
slot11's that have been written.  If that works, then I'll point it
at slot01 & let amcheck advance it to slot02.  Except that didn't
work:
-------------
amanda@coyote Daily]$ echo 01 >chg-disk-access
[amanda@coyote Daily]$ echo 01 >chg-disk-slot
[amanda@coyote Daily]$ echo 30 >chg-disk-clean
[amanda@coyote Daily]$ rm -f /amandatapes/Dailys/data
[amanda@coyote Daily]$ ln
-s /amandatapes/Dailys/slot01 /amandatapes/Dailys/data
[amanda@coyote Daily]$ amcheck Daily
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /dumps: 19839864 KB disk space available, using 19327864
KB
amcheck-server: slot 01: date 20040909 label Dailys-01 (active tape)
ERROR: /amandatapes/Dailys//data/: No such file or directory
ERROR: /amandatapes/Dailys//data/: No such file or directory
amcheck-server: slot 2: rewinding tape: Input/output error
ERROR: /amandatapes/Dailys//data/: No such file or directory
ERROR: /amandatapes/Dailys//data/: No such file or directory
amcheck-server: slot 3: rewinding tape: Input/output error
ERROR: /amandatapes/Dailys//data/: No such file or directory
ERROR: /amandatapes/Dailys//data/: No such file or directory
amcheck-server: slot 4: rewinding tape: Input/output error
ERROR: /amandatapes/Dailys//data/: No such file or directory
ERROR: /amandatapes/Dailys//data/: No such file or directory
amcheck-server: slot 5: rewinding tape: Input/output error
ERROR: /amandatapes/Dailys//data/: No such file or directory
ERROR: /amandatapes/Dailys//data/: No such file or directory
amcheck-server: slot 6: rewinding tape: Input/output error
ERROR: /amandatapes/Dailys//data/: No such file or directory
ERROR: /amandatapes/Dailys//data/: No such file or directory
amcheck-server: slot 7: rewinding tape: Input/output error
ERROR: /amandatapes/Dailys//data/: No such file or directory
ERROR: /amandatapes/Dailys//data/: No such file or directory
amcheck-server: slot 8: rewinding tape: Input/output error
ERROR: /amandatapes/Dailys//data/: No such file or directory
ERROR: /amandatapes/Dailys//data/: No such file or directory
amcheck-server: slot 9: rewinding tape: Input/output error
amcheck-server: slot 10: date 20040910 label Dailys-10 (active tape)
amcheck-server: slot 11: date 20040911 label Dailys-11 (active tape)
amcheck-server: slot 12: date X        label Dailys-12 (new tape)
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Tape Dailys-12 label ok
-----------------------
Thats not what I wanted.  And it looks as if the data link is possibly
being pointed at 'slot2', which doesn't exist as its 'slot02'.  Ok,
try it at slot02:
----------------------
[amanda@coyote Daily]$ rm -f /amandatapes/Dailys/data
[amanda@coyote Daily]$ ln
-s /amandatapes/Dailys/slot02 /amandatapes/Dailys/data
[amanda@coyote Daily]$ echo 02 >chg-disk-slot
[amanda@coyote Daily]$ echo 02 >chg-disk-access
[amanda@coyote Daily]$ amcheck Daily
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /dumps: 19839692 KB disk space available, using 19327692
KB
amcheck-server: slot 02: date X        label Dailys-02 (new tape)
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Tape Dailys-02 label ok
Server check took 0.165 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
Client check: 2 hosts checked in 10.247 seconds, 0 problems found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.5b1-20040831)
[amanda@coyote Daily]$
------------------

which worked.  Me goes off in a lack of sleep fog (I worked on the
transmitter last night, got in about 4ish), scratching slowly
thinning grey hair.

Methinks that possibly there are conflicting variables being used at
different points here, losing co-ordination somehow.  Why
cannot /configdirs/ '../tape-slot' be deprecated, and chg-disk-slot
used for everything?  If amverify needs a 'data' pointer, name it
something else but get its default linkage (if not named on the cli)
from chg-disk-slot's value.

OR... Unlike the rest of amanda tape handling facilities, the disk
handling facility cannot handle a leading zero 'slot' assignment,
like 'slot01'.  But that means I'll have to fix all the labels with a
hex editor too, gaahh.  I think I'll just re-write my mkvtapes script
and rerun it & start from scratch, then fix if I can, whatever of my
own wrapper stuff breaks.  If that doesn't work, then
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooowwwwwwlllllll.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: