Amanda-Users

Re: breaking up harddrives for gtar

2004-08-31 17:44:23
Subject: Re: breaking up harddrives for gtar
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:39:26 -0400
On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 04:57:42PM -0400, Jason Castonguay wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Right now I am using amanda for a few different linux servers. My disklists
> use the directories where different partitions are mounted. This has been
> working pretty well, but I read somewhere that one can get even better
> results by breaking things up to as many small directories as one can. This
> makes sense to me, as it will allow amanda to schedule different level
> backups the best she can even if it makes things perhaps more difficult to
> keep track of.
>
> So I collected on each client the names of the harddrives for it.
>
> find / -type d -fprintf ~/amandalist "`hostname -f`\t\t%p\tcomp-user-tar\n"
>
> and I have an idea to exclude all subdirectories in the dumptype, but then I
> run into the problem of users creating and removing their own subdirectories
> and then dealing with those. Do people who advocate this sort of setup
> generate their disklist each time they run amanda? or do they not have to
> deal with this problem? What is the best use of gtar?

I do it with a set of disk list entries all with the same
starting directory but different uniq "tag" names.  In most
I use the include directive (or include append) to list the
subdirectory or directories I want backed up by that DLE.
In one final DLE starting from the same directory I use the
exclude append directive to eliminate all the subdirs backed
up by the earlier mentioned DLEs.  This serves as a catchall
for any dirs not specifically backed up by its own DLE.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)