Amanda-Users

Re: Speed up 400GB backup?

2004-08-13 16:34:49
Subject: Re: Speed up 400GB backup?
From: Mike Fedyk <mfedyk AT matchmail DOT com>
To: Kris Vassallo <kris AT linuxcertified DOT com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:41:43 -0700
Hi,

[ This is my first post to this list, and it looks like "reply to all" is accepted here, so that's what I'm doing...]

Kris Vassallo wrote:

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 04:24, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

/On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 at 5:19pm, Kris Vassallo wrote

420GB is not the total amount per night. Something is bogging this down
though and I don't know what. I am not using holding disks because the
majority of data is being backed up from one set of disks to another on
the same machine. This one machine has a set of RAID 10 disks. These
disks are backed up by amanda and put onto a set of RAID 5 disks. As far

Just as an aside, having your backup disks on the same controller as your real data seems a bit risky to me -- what if the controller goes? What if it takes multiple disks with it?/

The whole thing of having the backup host being the same machine as the file server no longer looks like a good idea. However, I am in it too deep to jump out now. I suppose that I could get a second controller in the box, but to me it seems as if that would only create another bottleneck, the pci bus.

Why?

You have the compression done on the client anyway, so just take an older (probably Pentium II class or better) machine and use that as your Amanda server.