Amanda-Users

Re: Chg-scsi problem

2004-06-21 19:09:53
Subject: Re: Chg-scsi problem
From: eric AT cirr DOT com (Eric Schnoebelen)
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:58:28 -0500
cngo AT nmsu DOT edu writes:
- When I run amcheck with chg-scsi, I've got the following message:
-
- Amanda Tape Server Host Check
- -----------------------------
- Holding disk /data/amanda: 24318827 KB disk space available, that's plenty
-
- amcheck-server: slot 0: tape_rdlabel: tape open: /dev/st0: Input/output error

        On netbsd, /dev/st0 is certainly the wrong device to be
using.  You want to use /dev/nrst0.

- All of my tapes are labeled and here is my chg-scsi.conf file
-
- number_configs  1
- eject           0
- sleep           5
- cleanmax        10
- scsitapedev     /dev/st0
- changerdev      /dev/ch0
- tapestatus     /usr/pkg/etc/amanda/backup/changer/status
- labelfile      /usr/pkg/etc/amanda/backup/changer/label
- debuglevel 9:0
-
- config          0
- drivenum        0
- dev             /dev/st0
- startuse        0
- enduse          9
- statfile        /usr/pkg/etc/amanda/backup-scsi/changer/statfile
- cleancart       57
- cleanfile       /usr/pkg/etc/amanda/backup/changer-scsi/tape0-clean
- usagecount      /usr/pkg/etc/amanda/backup/changer-scsi/totaltime

This should look more like this:

        number_configs  1
        eject           0
        sleep           5
        cleanmax        10
        changerdev      /dev/ch0
        tapestatus     /usr/pkg/etc/amanda/backup/changer/status
        labelfile      /usr/pkg/etc/amanda/backup/changer/label
        debuglevel 9:0

        config          0
        drivenum        0
        dev             /dev/nrst0
        scsitapedev     /dev/enrst0
        startuse        0
        enduse          9
        statfile        /usr/pkg/etc/amanda/backup-scsi/changer/statfile
        cleancart       57
        cleanfile       /usr/pkg/etc/amanda/backup/changer-scsi/tape0-clean
        usagecount      /usr/pkg/etc/amanda/backup/changer-scsi/totaltime

FYI: I usually put the `cleanfile', `usagecount', `statfile',
`tapestatus' and `labelfile' files under /var/spool/amanda, to
leave the /usr/pkg clear of frequently modified files.

You might also find some patches I made for use on NetBSD interesting.
They are available at ftp://ftp.cirr.com/pub/utils/amanda.  Place
them in a pkgsrc shadow tree (subdirectory sysutils/amanda-server)
and set LOCALPATCHES to the top of the shadow tree, and rebuild.

        FYI: I've been running Amanda on NetBSD for 10 years or
so.. Currently running on an AlphaPC64 as a tape server.

--
Eric Schnoebelen                eric AT cirr DOT com
http://www.cirr.com