Amanda-Users

deleting contents of vtapes after backups

2004-06-08 07:34:42
Subject: deleting contents of vtapes after backups
From: "Axel Scheepers (thuis)" <axel AT axel.truedestiny DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 13:29:27 +0200
Hi All,

I installed amanda on my local network and it's doing fine. I've got 2 configs, one daily which backups to a set of 5 vtapes of 700mb each to burn to cdr, and one weekly full which backups to a set of 250 vtapes of 4GB each to burn to DVD.
The weekly-dvd config has these settings in it:
dumpcycle 0
#runspercycle 4

This only creates full backups of the files. I wonder however, I do not have the space for all these 250 vtapes, could I delete them after backing up? I was thinking of deleting only the data in these dirs, which if I'm not mistaken let's me reuse these tapes whenever I get close to nr.250 (with amadmin reuse tapelabels), while only using the space of do many I have room for.

Thanks,
Kind regards,
Axel