Amanda-Users

Re: Hard disk backup doubts

2004-06-02 15:59:45
Subject: Re: Hard disk backup doubts
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 15:52:41 -0400
On Wednesday 02 June 2004 09:51, Javier Sanchez wrote:
>Hello again,
>
>thanks for the informatio,n i have allready marked all the tapes to
> be no-reuse with the amadmin command.
>
>Now i have a different doubt .-), how can i tell amanda to compress
> the files with bzip2 ?? I saw how once on a web but cant find it
> now, any ideas ?
>

>Cheers

In my experience here, I've found that bzip2, while reasonably fast
and does better compression compared to gzip, but it will sneeze once
in a while and whole blocks of data have been known to come up on the
missing list, silently.  I'd guess this is a less than 1% of the time
occurance though.

Like unpacking a kernel src tree from a .bz2 version of it.  There has
been more than once I've had to nuke such a tree, and unpack it again
to get a good one, and there have been times I've had to go download
it again before I got a good, every character there, unpack.

Gzip has never failed, not ever as long as the turbines are turning at
the power plant.

>El mié, 02-06-2004 a las 14:31, Jon LaBadie escribió:
>> On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 01:08:51PM +0200, Javier Sanchez wrote:
>> > Hello all,
>> >
>> > i have just succesfully configured an amanda server to store the
>> > backups on a local har disk, backup and restore are working but
>> > now im facing a new doutb.
>> >
>> > I have defined 7 tapes on a external usb hard-disk, when the
>> > disk is removed how should i instruct amanda not to remove the
>> > database ?
>> >
>> > I mean, before removing the disk should i modify the tapes
>> > status in any way ? how?
>>
>> amandad with the no-reuse argument is, I believe, the proper
>> choice to tell amanda to no longer use a tape but retain the
>> database.
>>
>> > And on the new disk i must create another 7 tapes, and label
>> > them using correlative numbers ??
>>
>> Yes you must create and label new tapes if you want amanda to
>> retain old log/index info.  Otherwise amanda thinks it is reusing
>> an old tape and is free to overwrite the logs and indicies.
>>
>> Any correlation in the names and numbers is yours alone.
>> Amanda doesn't care.  It just takes, and later expects,
>> them in the order given.  (Assuming they match the label string)

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: