Amanda-Users

Re: Monthly Backup Problem

2004-05-03 04:06:55
Subject: Re: Monthly Backup Problem
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Kianusch Sayah Karadji <kianusch AT sk-tech DOT net>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 10:01:47 +0200
Kianusch Sayah Karadji wrote:

My Monthly Backup is designed to make a "level 0" from all available Data
- which will not fit to one tape anyway - so the plan was to not put in a
tape, and have amanda backup everything to the dumps Partition. After that
use amflush to move the data from the partition to tapes in several runs.

Why so complicated?
Let it dump to one tape, and flush the rest in the morning to the other
tape(s).  Just configure Amanda a little bit more, to allow her to
schedule all backups.

Some parameters you'll need to set:

# you may set runtapes to more if you like, amanda
# will not find them all, and continue to disk
runtapes 1

# Even with runtapes 1, you can let amanda plan
# for a lot more gigabytes than fit on one tape
maxdumpsize 90g

# When dumping to holdingdisk because tapes are full
# you need to lower the reserved-for-incremental space
# Setting it to 0 percent lets all the space be used
# for level0 backups. (Or set it to some low value.)
reserve 0

# You can get amanda to optimize tape usage too.
# See for an extended explanation:
# http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=amanda-users&m=106277015010167&w=2
taperalgo  largestfit

What i do now ist using a "dummy" tape definition with the following entry
"length 99999 mbytes", so that the backup is done in any case ... and
changing the setup back to the correct value for tape operation.

Not needed, just change maxdumpsize (or runtapes).