Amanda-Users

Re: Problem configuring full dump

2004-04-22 08:12:43
Subject: Re: Problem configuring full dump
From: Gertjan van Oosten <gertjan AT West DOT NL>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:07:23 +0200
Hi Paul,

As quoted from Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>:
> You probably have to add "skip-incr" to the dumptype.

Yep, that does the trick!

> Maybe I found a bug in the source or in the manpage. :-)

Seems like it.

> >>  dumpcycle 1 day
> >>  runspercycle 5
>
> I have this as:
>
> dumpcycle 0 days
> runspersycle 1

Christoph Scheeder had already mentioned this; it was indeed incorrect.

> >> define dumptype always-full {
> >>     global
> >>     comment "Full dump of this filesystem always"
> >>     compress none
> >>     priority high
> >>     dumpcycle 0
> >>     strategy noinc
> >> }

I added 'skip-incr yes' to this and that solves the problem: no more
level 1 estimates.

>         skip-incr yes           # emphasize we only want full dumps
>         strategy noinc          # also reduce time to do estimates

Note that the comment for "strategy noinc" in fact applies to "skip-incr
yes"; it seems that "strategy noinc" is not fully/correctly implemented.

> The etimeout is multiplied by the amount of disklistentries for that
> machine. For 6 DLE's on that machine amanda times out after 6*300 sec.

As I said in my previous message, this is the one and only disk in the
disklist, so that can't be it.

Anyway, thanks Christoph and Paul for their excellent suggestions;
our new Amanda setup using our new Sun StorEdge L8 autochanger is
now working properly.  Time to retire the old setup and them old
DDS3 drives, I guess.  :-)

Cheers,
--
-- Gertjan van Oosten, gertjan AT West DOT NL, West Consulting B.V., +31 15
2191 600