Amanda-Users

Re: Solaris client coredumps on 2.4.2p1

2004-04-16 14:52:23
Subject: Re: Solaris client coredumps on 2.4.2p1
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:48:58 -0400
On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 01:17:14PM +0100, Tony Howat wrote:

> Hi There,
>
> I have an existing amanda 2.4.2p1 installation running on SuSE Linux,
> with Linux clients. I have a need to add some solaris systems to the
> backups, and so I have built 2.4.2p1 using gcc 2.95.3.
>
> ./configure --with-user=amanda --with-group=sys --without-server
>
> The build works fine, and the binaries seem fine. However, when I run
> amcheck on the backup server, it attempts to contact the solaris client.
> inetd does its stuff, and then amanda crashes at the client end. This
> appears in my /var/adm/messages :
>
> Apr 15 12:47:07 nms2 inetd[190]: [ID 858011 daemon.warning]
> /usr/local/libexec/amandad: Segmentation Fault - core dumped

Don't know at this point if it is an amanda bug or not.  However, if it
is a defect, good chance it has been repaired since 2.4.2.  A build of
a newer client "should" work fine with the older server.

> Sticking the core through gdb and doing a backtrace doesn't help much,
> the executable appears to lack symbol names. The /tmp/amanda/debug lists:

> How can I simply enable debug symbols on the output code, and possibly
> increase the debug tracing?

On the client build, you should be able to edit the makefiles
so that the CFLAGS parameter DOES NOT include '-O' optimize option
and DOES include the '-g' debug info option.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)