Amanda-Users

Re: Planner returning incorrect size

2004-04-14 16:18:00
Subject: Re: Planner returning incorrect size
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: jlm17 <jlm17 AT lucent DOT com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:14:43 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 at 3:51pm, jlm17 wrote

> This would be fine, except I have an exclude list to remove most of the
> larger sub-folders from the share. I have a couple of questions. Does
> Planner use the exclude list when determining the required tape space?
> If not, how do I either get it to use that, or for amdump to go ahead
> and dump to tape anyway?

>From docs/SAMBA:
\begin{quote}
Smbclient only supports excluding a single file from the command line,
not a file of patterns like GNU tar.  So "exclude" is supported from a
dumptype but not "exclude list".

The size estimate calculation does not use the same method as the
dump, so it may be inaccurate.  It also does not support any type of
exclusion ("exclude" is ignored).  Things are done this way because
doing a simulated dump to /dev/null, like other dump programs, would
take forever with current implementations of Samba.
\end{quote}

> Second, I'm not even sure if my exclude list is correct. Here is my dumptype:
>
> define dumptype fulldump {
>    compress server best
>    program "GNUTAR"
>    record no
>    holdingdisk yes
>    exclude file "beta cdimage_source citcd generics tmp archive cdimage"
>    index yes
>    maxdumps 1
>    strategy STANDARD
> }

You can't do a list of directories like that.

> The share name is citdb. There are folders under that named beta,
> cdimage_source, etc. I want those folders excluded. I tried this two
> ways, one as shown above and also as citdb/beta, citdb/cdimage_source,
> etc. I don't know how gnu tar "sees" the samba share, and whether the
> share name is needed at the beginning of each directory or not. How do I
> properly format the exclude list to not dump the folders in the citdb
> share whose names are listed above?

smbclient is what's doing the actual backup.  From the smbclient man page
on RH9, it seems to support some either regex's or simple wildcarding in
the exclude entry, so you may want to try that.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering