Amanda-Users

Tapesize

2004-04-09 04:50:52
Subject: Tapesize
From: Hans van Zijst <hzi AT syncera DOT nl>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 10:49:58 +0200
It seems as if Amanda has a problem with my DLT drive. It's an HP DLT7000,
an uncompressed tape has a capacity of 35GB, a compressed one up to 70GB.
But when I do a full dump of all my machines on a time that one of them
contains quite a lot of data (my own homegrown backup-images), I get this
kind of report.

Now, if I do my maths correctly, the tape (with hardware compression turned
on) should be able to take at least 35 GB, the total size of the amanda
dump is 43GB, so if the compression ratio is 0%, it should refuse less than
10GB. Amanda makes images of 2000MB, btw. But if the aready taped 14.6GB
represents 20.9% of the tape's capacity, that would mean there's still room
for 55.2GB.

I'm not a mathematician, so either I'm making some mistake here, or I
misinterpret Amanda's report. This is the drive definition I use:

define tapetype DLT7000 {
    length 70000 mbytes
    filemark 1024 kbytes
    speed 1687 kps
}

Can anyone tell me what's happening here?

*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [[writing file: No space left on device]].
Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
Run amflush to flush them to tape.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  gandalf.de /var lev 0 FAILED [out of tape]

STATISTICS:
                          Total       Full      Daily
                        --------   --------   --------
Estimate Time (hrs:min)    0:03
Run Time (hrs:min)         4:24
Dump Time (hrs:min)        2:58       2:58       0:00
Output Size (meg)       43587.3    43587.3        0.0
Original Size (meg)     43587.3    43587.3        0.0
Avg Compressed Size (%)     --         --         --
Filesystems Dumped           23         23          0
Avg Dump Rate (k/s)      4184.8     4184.8        --

Tape Time (hrs:min)        1:13       1:13       0:00
Tape Size (meg)         14624.0    14624.0        0.0
Tape Used (%)              20.9       20.9        0.0
Filesystems Taped            22         22          0
Avg Tp Write Rate (k/s)  3441.0     3441.0        --

 This message has been checked for all known viruses
 De informatie verzonden met dit e-mailbericht is
 uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde.
 Openbaarmaking, vermenigvuldiging, verspreiding en/of
 verstrekking van deze informatie aan derden is
 niet toegestaan. Wij aanvaarden geen aansprakelijkheid
 voor de juiste en volledige overbrenging van de inhoud
 van een verzonden e-mail bericht, noch voor tijdige
 ontvangst ervan.

              HTTP://WWW.Syncera.NL