Amanda-Users

Re: "Estimate timeout" on Mac OS X

2004-04-05 03:08:01
Subject: Re: "Estimate timeout" on Mac OS X
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 03:02:49 -0400
On Monday 05 April 2004 01:25, David Chin wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've almost got amanda to run on a PowerBook G4 with Mac OS X.3.3.
> Right now, I have it set up with "virtual tapes" on a separate
> disk. Everything goes well, including the amcheck, but when I rum
> amdump, the backup doesn't go. The mailed log of the run is below.
>
>Can someone point me in the right direction?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>--Dave
>

>These dumps were to tape daily11.
>The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.
>The next new tape already labelled is: daily01.
>
>FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>   localhost  /Users/drauh lev 0 FAILED [Estimate timeout from
> localhost]
>

>STATISTICS:
>                           Total       Full      Daily
>                         --------   --------   --------
>Estimate Time (hrs:min)    0:15
>Run Time (hrs:min)         0:15
>Dump Time (hrs:min)        0:00       0:00       0:00
>Output Size (meg)           0.0        0.0        0.0
>Original Size (meg)         0.0        0.0        0.0
>Avg Compressed Size (%)     --         --         --
>Filesystems Dumped            0          0          0
>Avg Dump Rate (k/s)         --         --         --
>
>Tape Time (hrs:min)        0:00       0:00       0:00
>Tape Size (meg)             0.0        0.0        0.0
>Tape Used (%)               0.0        0.0        0.0
>Filesystems Taped             0          0          0
>Avg Tp Write Rate (k/s)     --         --         --
>
>USAGE BY TAPE:
>   Label         Time      Size      %    Nb
>   daily11       0:00       0.0    0.0     0
>

>NOTES:
>   planner: Adding new disk localhost:/Users/drauh.
>   driver: WARNING: got empty schedule from planner
>   taper: tape daily11 kb 0 fm 0 [OK]
>

>DUMP SUMMARY:
>                                      DUMPER STATS            TAPER
> STATS HOSTNAME     DISK        L ORIG-KB OUT-KB COMP% MMM:SS  KB/s
> MMM:SS KB/s
>-------------------------- ---------------------------------
>------------
>localhost    -sers/drauh 0 FAILED

Here is the first potential problem.  Even with all the warnings
plastered all over the FAQ and Docs, folks still insist on useing a
universal name instead of the FQDN.

Second, did you build amanda as the user amanda, then become root to
do the make install?  I'm thinking, just a hunch because you've not
posted enough info, that there is either a permissions problem, or
an .amandahosts problem, but in the latter case it will usually tell
you about quite plainly.

>(brought to you by Amanda version 2.4.4p2)

While it should run ok, 2.4.4p2 is beginning to get a bit long in the
tooth. We're up to 2.4.5beta something or other, and I've not found
anything beta about it.  It just works.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: