Amanda-Users

Re: Thoughts on wholesale tape replacement methods?

2004-04-01 12:35:45
Subject: Re: Thoughts on wholesale tape replacement methods?
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 19:32:43 +0200
Hi, Frank,

on Donnerstag, 01. April 2004 at 19:04 you wrote to amanda-users:

FS> I'm retiring 80 tapes in a library and replacing them with new
FS> tapes.  Any thoughts on the best way to do it?
FS>    One way would be to label the new tapes with the same labels
FS> as the old tapes, and swap the tapes out as they are about to be
FS> used (or swap them all out at once, and keep the old tapes around
FS> for a tapecycle).
FS>    Another method would be to label them with numbers starting
FS> after the last old tape label, double the tapecycle, swap out
FS> the tapes (and keeping the old ones for a tapecycle), and remember
FS> to revert the tapecycle later.
FS>    Any pros or cons to either method?  Does labeling a new tape
FS> with an existing label make Aamnda "forget" about the contents of
FS> the tape?

Why not just label the new tapes with new labels, swap one after the
other, mark each removed old one as no-reuse, and leave the old ones
off-site for a while?

As you mark the removed old tapes as no-reuse, the overall number of
to-be-reused tapes stays the same (=tapecycle). Amanda always uses the
"youngest" tape in rotation ...

You would still have the indexfiles of the old ones and could easily
access some stuff on them. After a while (and depending on the data
kept on them) you could just remove them out of your cycle and move
along with your fresh tapes only.

Or you leave the old ones in for archival purposes.

--
best regards,
Stefan

Stefan G. Weichinger