Amanda-Users

Re: Lables and Force

2004-03-24 06:40:38
Subject: Re: Lables and Force
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 06:35:05 -0500
On Wednesday 24 March 2004 02:46, Brendon Standing wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I am having a small struggle with Amanda. The problem is that I have
>labled the tapes Monday -> Friday. In the case like Monday which was
> a public holiday, Mondays backup didn't run. This morning it should
> have run Tuesday's backup but it's still looking for Monday's tape.
> I have rum an "amflush" and "amcleanup". This however doesn't help.
> How do I get Amanda to "skip" a day and backup for the current day?
> Also, how do I force a backup, even though it expects a "labled"
> tape. I know this sounds like the same question but it's not.
>
>Thanks.

Amanda uses the tapes in rotation, and you nameing convention is
purely arbitray to amanda, who other than useing monday as a day when
she should have been run in her calculations of what to back up on
this run, doesn't care.  Just go ahead and feed her mondays tape and
she'll happily purr along and do the job for you.

This is why its rather pointless to name your tapes by the day of the
week, they'll be out of whack the first time your schedule hiccups.

It takes a while before most folks get out of the habit of trying to
tell amanda what to do.  Amanda will guard your data just fine, but
the routines themselves have no idea of what day of the week it is.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: