Amanda-Users

Re: how to fit backup on >1 tape

2004-02-16 18:19:24
Subject: Re: how to fit backup on >1 tape
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:18:32 -0500
On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 10:35:08AM +0400, Madhvi Gokool wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a18G filesystem that needs to be backed up and do not have a tape
> changer.  I have tried the following :-
>
> runtapes 2              # number of tapes to be used in a single run of
> amdump
> tpchanger "chg-manual"  # the tape-changer glue script
> tapedev "/dev/nst0"     # the no-rewind tape device to be used
> changerfile "/usr/adm/amanda/WeeklySet1/changer"
>
> When I run amdump WeeklySet1, it asks me to load tapes repeatedly.
> 3 files were created in the log directory and are as follows :-
> changer-status-access, changer-status-clean, changer-status-slot with
> following contents : -
> changer-status-access
> ::::::::::::::
> 2
> ::::::::::::::
> changer-status-clean
> ::::::::::::::
> 0
> ::::::::::::::
> changer-status-slot
> ::::::::::::::
> 1
>
> Since 2 tapes of 12G should be enough for the backup ( no hardware
> compression and using tar) , I am not sure what I'm doing wrong.
> can anyone help me with this config???
>

>From the name of your amanda config, "Weekly...", I'm guessing this
is the "do a full, level 0 backup on the weekend" config.  That you
do not do incremental backup in this configuration.

You say you have 18GB to backup.  How many entries in your disklist
(DLE's) are there?  Each DLE must fit by itself on a `single' tape.
The total collection of DLE's can exceed a tape, but no single DLE.

Also, what is the length specified in your tapetype.  If you have
just a one big 18GB DLE and properly specified your tapelength
as 12GB, I'm surprised it even attempted to do a dump.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)