Amanda-Users

dumptypes

2004-02-11 10:01:25
Subject: dumptypes
From: "Dege, Robert C." <robert.dege AT ngc DOT com>
To: "Amanda List (E-mail)" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 06:58:38 -0800
I noticed something odd today while maintaining my amanda server, and I seek
some advise.
My amanda server is slow (350MHz CPU), so most of the dump are configured so
that the clients compress the data.  The global dumptype is setup with
"compress client best".

For slower systems, I override the global compress with "compress client
fast".  But this doesn't seem to be working as of late.  When I do a `ps
-aef | grep amanda`, I see the dumper, the taper, and about 7-8 "gzip
--best"
 processes.

Now, in my disklist, I only have one entry for my amanda server, and 2 samba
entries.  All three use a dumptype that compresses client fast.  All of my
other systems listed in disklist are set for compress client best (linux,
alpha, irix, solaris).

So my question is, why am I seeing all of these gzip processes on the amanda
server?  I thought they were supposed to be residing on the client.  Is
there anyway to determine what system dump is causing the compression to
reside on the server, instead of the client?

Redhat 7.2
Linux 2.4.19
Amanda 2.4.2p2

-Rob