Amanda-Users

How do I use Amanda without tape/tapechanger ?

2004-02-11 05:18:23
Subject: How do I use Amanda without tape/tapechanger ?
From: Henning.Grosskurth AT materna DOT de
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:15:56 +0100
Hi fellows,

I'm rather new to amanda, so forgive me if this question ist simple ;-)

Since the tape-device I was to use does not work anymore, I now have to
backup to harddisk.
The problem is: HOW can I get amanda to write backups to harddisk?

I've tried telling it that there is no tape-device, I've tried telling it
that the "new" tape-device ist "/space/amanda", but whatever I try doesn't
work.

I understood that amanda writes to holding disk, and if there is a
tape-failure the data in the holding disk will stay there, waiting to be
flushed to tape.
Well, if this *would* work it'll be fine, but all amanda does is give me a
report-mail telling that there's no tape, and everytime it builds a file of
64 kb in /space/amanda, which is named exactly like the directory I'm trying
to save ...

I was told that there IS a way to get amanda to work without tapes, but I
can't find it ...

Hope someone can help me :-)

With best wishes

Henning