Amanda-Users

Re: One more question

2004-02-08 12:18:22
Subject: Re: One more question
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda users list <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 12:13:23 -0500
On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 09:31:34AM -0500, stan wrote:
> K, now that I've solved (thanks to everyone here's help) the problem of
> having disks that are larger than my tape's capacity. I think I better add
> tapes to my existing system. here's what I've got in Amanda.conf relative
> to this now:
>
> dumpcycle 5 days        # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
> runspercycle 5          # Number of time Amanda will be run per dump cycle
> tapecycle 20 tapes      # the number of tapes in rotation
>
> What's the safest way (where safe is defined as not risking availability of
> my existing backups) to add more tapes, without taking the ones I have out
> of service. Let's say I want to go to 40 tapes.
>
> Yes, Amanda is run _every_ day, as the above implies, this is my home
> setup.
>
> I may also have to increase dumpcycle, but I won't know that until I've run
> a few days to get the balance back.

Label them.
Don't change a thing in amanda.conf.
When you want them to appear in the rotation,
 say when current tape #1 is about to be needed,
 insert new tape #21, then #22, ...
After they are introduced, increase tapecycle
 if you want to.

For early clarification (often needed :),
amanda will use new tapes anytime.
If you change tapecycle NOW, amanda
will want the new tapes NOW, not in any
human understandable rotation order.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)