Amanda-Users

Re: Concurrancy - dumping partitions

2004-02-06 16:31:50
Subject: Re: Concurrancy - dumping partitions
From: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 16:29:36 -0500
On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 10:40:45AM -0500, Brian Cuttler wrote:
> At this point we discovered "netusage" was set to a very low value
> (1200 though I'm uncertain of the units).

The units are bytes/second (*not* bits/second), adjusted of
course by whatever multiplier you specify.

> Note 1 on this, I was surprised that with server = client this was
> a factor.

Amanda has a more general way of dealing with this.  You can put
multiple "interface" sections in amanda.conf, with different
capacities; then specify for each DLE which interface its data
will travel over.  (The "interface" sections are intended to
correspond to the NICs in your server, but Amanda doesn't try to
enforce this.)  So you can just create an "interface" section
with a really high capacity, and use that for the server's DLEs.

As an aside, I recently set our Amanda server's netusage way
higher than its NIC's capacity.  (a factor of ten, to be
specific; that's how I discovered what the units are :-)  The
Dump Time reported in the nightly emails went through the roof,
but the interesting part is that the Run Time wasn't much
affected -- maybe even a small decrease, though I don't recall
for sure.  That surprised me at first, but it makes sense with a
bit of thought.

--

|  | /\
|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics AT telepres DOT com
|  |  /
It must be said that they would have sounded better if the singer
wouldn't throw his fellow band members to the ground and toss the
drum kit around during songs.
        - Patrick Lenneau