Amanda-Users

Re: changed from hw comp to sw comp

2004-02-04 11:10:01
Subject: Re: changed from hw comp to sw comp
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: tobias.bluhm AT philips DOT com
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 10:55:13 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 at 10:49am, tobias.bluhm AT philips DOT com wrote

> I'm slightly baffled at the Tape Time though - it seems to have gone down.
> I expected it to remain about the same, half the data at half the tape
> write speed.

Your tape write speed would only get cut in half when going to software
compression if the hardware compression had been getting 2:1, which it
almost never does.  And gzip is better than just about any hardware
compressor, so the actual size of the data on tape is more than likely
smaller with software compression.  Thus the reduced tape time.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering