Amanda-Users

Compression question

2004-01-25 00:41:32
Subject: Compression question
From: Jobst Schmalenbach <jobst AT barrett.com DOT au>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 16:35:17 +1100
Folks,
I am not clear about compression within amanda.

I bought a new tape drive (Certance CD72) and read the instructions
for amtapetype. Now amtapetype suggests to turn off hardware
compression, *THAT* I do understand (growing binary).

Now I want to use *hardware* compression.
The advantages are:

 * faster
 * crc errors only fail the current block only not
   the entire archive.

If I turn hardware compression ON how does AMANDA know
(well at least the planner) how much tape is available
if the amount is specified for NOT COMPRESSED?

My tape defintion:

define tapetype CERTANCE_CD72 {
    comment "Internal CERTANCE CD72 produced by tapetype prog (hardware
compression off)"
    length 35633 mbytes
    filemark 0 kbytes
    speed 3612 kps
}

This is (at least for me) not clear reading the
docs within the amanda tree ....

jobst