Amanda-Users

Re: Restore problem

2004-01-22 03:05:37
Subject: Re: Restore problem
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: "Dege, Robert C." <robert.dege AT ngc DOT com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 03:02:27 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 at 7:57am, Dege, Robert C. wrote

> I've appeared to run into a restore problem.  I've been backing up several
> directories on a nightly basis using amanda for the past several months.
> Today, I had to restore a fairly large directory.  About 1/3 through the
> restore, and error message appeared:
>
> tar: Skipping to next header
> tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
>
> and the restore is no longer continuing.
>
> An added note, of all the times that I ran amdump, I never had any tar
> related errors in the email report.
> here are my specs:
>
> Linux: 2.4.22
> Flavor: Redhat 9.0
> Tar: 1.13.25
> amanda: 2.4.4p1

I've never seen that error, but some googling points to either not giving
tar the 'z' flag for a compressed tarball (in which case it probably
should have bombed out immediately) or a corrupted tarball.  Check for the
first case, and then check the 2nd by restoring some other archives from
that and other tapes.

How did your test restores go when you first got things working?  Did you
do any this big?

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering