Amanda-Users

Re: amrestore and compression

2004-01-21 15:35:34
Subject: Re: amrestore and compression
From: Aaron Smith <asmith AT nexcerpt DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 15:22:59 -0500
DOH!  Never mind....I read the man page for amrecover...hehe
Yeah, yeah, I know....RTFM.

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 15:06, Aaron Smith wrote:
>       I'm hoping someone can clear something up for me.  Does amrestore
> uncompress an image as it restores it?  The reason I ask is that I had
> an image on an amanda tape that was supposedly compressed via gzip.  The
> amanda mail report indicated that the original KB was about 5.1Gb, and
> Out-KB was about 2.9Gb for a 57% compression.  The other image on the
> tape was listed with an Out-KB of about 4.3Gb and taper reported having
> put 7.2Gb to tape.  The math works out.
>       I just recently did an amrestore on that 5.1-compressed to 2.9Gb image
> (by doing amrestore -p, piped through SSH, and then >'d into a file) and
> the resulting file was 4.9Gb and not gzipped at all.  When I ran that
> file through Gzip, it squeezed it down to the familiar 2.9Gb size.  So
> was the image compressed and amrestore uncompressed it?
Aaron Smith                             vox: 269.226.9550 ext.26
Network Director                        fax: 269.349.9076
Nexcerpt, Inc.                          http://www.nexcerpt.com

        ...Nexcerpt... Extend Your Expertise