Amanda-Users

Re: howto determine tape position ???

2004-01-13 15:01:33
Subject: Re: howto determine tape position ???
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:59:53 -0500
On Tuesday 13 January 2004 14:22, Michael D Schleif wrote:
>* Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> [2004:01:13:12:30:56-0500] scribed:
>> On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 10:17:18AM -0600, Michael D Schleif wrote:
>> > At the end of an amanda dump, what is the optimal way to
>> > determine the location/position on that tape where the dump
>> > completed?
>>
>> Not certain what your objective is,
>> so I'm not certain in what "units"
>> you might need the information.
>
>I am trying to track tape usage statistics over time.
>
>> Do these do anything for you:
>>
>> my "mt status" command reports where the tape is positioned
>> by tape file number and block number
>>
>>   $ mt status
>>   HP DDS-3 4mm DAT loader tape drive:
>>      sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense   residual= 0   retries=
>> 0 file no= 13   block no= 0
>>
>> your amanda report shows the percent of the tape used and the
>> number of bytes and files "successfully" written under the "tape
>> usage" section
>>
>>   USAGE BY TAPE:
>>     Label        Time      Size      %    Nb
>>     DS1-01       0:43    2536.3   21.7    25
>
>What does `Nb' mean?  Is that the number of DLE's on tape?
>
>> also in the amanda report is "taper's" report (under Notes:)
>> of the ACTUAL number of bytes and files written
>> (some may have failed due to an error at the end)
>>
>>   NOTES:
>>     taper: tape DS1-01 kb 2598496 fm 25 [OK]
>
>In your example, what does `fm 25' mean?
>
>Perhaps, I can use numbers already calculated by amanda, rather than
>calculating what I want from mt.

Either way should be sufficient, only the math changes to reflect the
value of the returned data.  mt will tell you in blocks, and you need
to determine the size of the block, (I'm using 32768 byte blocks here
in order to scale that number down) whereas the amdump report is
usually in Mb, but for big tapes (I'm not that lucky) it might even
be further simplified into Gb.

In one of my wrapper scripts I'm parseing the mt return, but the above
info could be used just as well as long as the file is updated &
flushed to disk enough to obtain that info correctly.  That concern
was one of the reasons I used mt to gather that info rather than
greping the report email.  Among other things, amanda would have
trouble accessing email in roots mailbox for that info. :)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,
ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: